Thursday, June 18, 2009

Silent cubicles surround me

Bored. Bored bored bored. I am at my internship with absolutely no assignments, tasks or anything at all to do. Attempting to satiate at least a fraction of my "need-to-be-productive gene," I studied the menu of the Scottish pub I'll be working at for the rest of the summer. I'm down right séanmhar about being a hostess/server at the Royal Mile Pub. Comedians, garage bands, and other cheery, energetic folk come and perform on certain nights of every month. I think the tips will be sweet, as will be my resulting attitude. With 75 Scottish malts, and a whole list devoted solely to Scotch, I'm thinking the customers will be more than friendly. [Envision a kilt-wearing Scots/Irishman, serenading me with melodic bagpipes.] Hey, a girl can dream, especially while staring at thumb-tacked walls.


***

I was determined to work out this morning, but that would've meant scraping my eyelids open at 6:00 am, piling my shower, clothing and make-up necessities in my car, driving to a foreign branch of my gym, and persuading them to let me in despite the "one-branch only" limitations of my monthly pass. Whatever. I am resolute that I WILL, eventually, make extremely good use of that gym this summer. The other day, I could definitely feel a difference after a three mile run and weight lifting. If only I had more time, or a single job that just paid enough.

Time is short. It always has been. Ever since reaching an age of cognition, I've heard the world has been about to end. [No Day But Today!] But really, it's true. The time for wounded feelings, is over. The time for livid anger, is over. An aside: yesterday I was in a meeting that dicussed how the Department of Health and Human Services could conglomerate all of its fractured data storage systems into one, homogeneous, efficient route of information. One particular diagram displayed a birds eye view of the computer system and its core functions. Of course on a lower level of awareness, there are gritty components involved such as people, computers, time constraints, and bureaucrats that obscure the general operation, that the diagram so directly demonstrated. End: aside. Right now all I care about is seeing everything from a "thousand foot view." Thematic. Simplistic. Focused. Essential. And from way up here, one can't help but be happy.



***
Sonnet
Facebook dear, why are you blocked?
Inside these walls, they have me locked.
Big Bro, I know, he wants what's best.
But the yearn to chat, explodes my chest.
Facebook please come rescue me!
This damsel's tied to tracks, indeed.
I'm kidnapped now, I'm nowhere found.
Kiss me to wake from sleeping sound.
Enemy: boredom, solitude
would die with just one glimpse at you
Oh no. Not now! Minimize. X out!
The boss is on her roundabout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers