Monday, June 8, 2009

Combine an interest in writing and a colorful life

About a week and a half ago, I found enough energy to peel back the covers of my wonderfully cozy bed, and jump-start the day with a jog. Although 9:30 felt like an excruciatingly early hour for summer, I was relieved when my nike clad feet pounded the pavement. The sidewalk maze of our apartment complex stretched though three parking lots and finally opened up after passing a poorly planned intersection. I headed toward the tree-bearing cul de sacs.



As I trudged past another suburbian home, I nearly giggled to death as a baby dear caught my attention. The Bambi was curled up in a freckled, tiny, two feet long ball, tucked beneath a shrub. What was he doing here? He let out a few bleats apparently calling for his mama. Should I call animal control? Should I knock on the lawn-owners front door? Nah, I kept jogging.



On the way back I had one of the most ironic encounters within the last year, at least. After circling the dead end and heading back on the opposite side of the street, I kept my eye on the house that hosted the Bambi. Then... no, it couldn't be. What were the chances? This too wierd. A Deer Park Water van pulling up to the same house? As the driver stepped out, he was startled by what he though was a baby crying, or bird chirping. I commented, "Isn't that crazy? A baby deer!" he agreed. I don't know what happened after that, but the twilight zone event stayed in my mind.



Deer: timid, calm, pretty (enough), humble, prolific. I ran through all of their associated characteristics.



Not until a week later, roughly now, did I realize the relevant significance: that deer was... the opposite of livid anger.



My destination in life is not wealth, control, fulfilling ambition, a perfect man, a yacht, the perfect tan, pure skin, a bangin' body, being royal (I could go on, this is fun). No, these things would be amazingly nice, but thoroughly empty. I want, what I really want, is to be guilty-conscience free. To successfully delineate right from wrong, and to confidently be myself. And then, to surround myself with others that share the same conviction.

2 comments:

  1. i loveeeee you! adding you to my bloglist.

    <3 jess

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Followers