Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Internal dialogues

I swear, the internal dialogues that go on inside my head are freaking hysterical sometimes. They lead to these inexplicable little outbursts of giggling, that are sometimes mistaken as impolite expressions of ridicule towards the nearest person. Perhaps I should resist the temptation to sink into my own imaginary world, because my reactions are often misunderstood as offensive. "What are you laughing at?" is probably up there, on the list of most frequent questions posed to me. Not you. Trust me.

For example, on my way back from the bathroom in the Humphrey building of the Department of Health and Human services, I saw this janitor guy speeding along on a machine that functioned something like a scooter/mover of heavy items. Sort of like those scooters mall cops cruise around on. All of a sudden, I picture myself on this wonderful engine, posed in first arabesque, hair blowing in the wind, pointed feet in patent-leather heels, grinning as I swiftly speed by a doorway which leads to a dark sea of desks and computers. Stick it to "the man" I say.

Another example. Upon considering a way to simplify and expedite the dating process, I mused about disclosing all of my deal breakers in the first five minutes. "..." No wonder I'm disagreed with so often. I certainly find myself in a minority. Even though I'm white. Yet and still, I'm far from dismayed.

***

The smallest things to other people seem to unravel my nerves. Like, lack of a vocabulary. I'm not trying to seem pompous or above anyone, but I use a variety of words to talk. And when I spend time trying to think of exactly the right word to successfully describe what it is I'm trying to articulate, only to be misunderstood, it irks me. Spelling too. Can someone please learn the difference between "your" and "you're"?!

"genuwine." OMG. Really?

I suppose this just shows me what worth words actually carry. Especially the definition and use of them. They express colors, smells, sounds, ideas, emotions, experiences, memories, dreams, aspects. A good author takes time to handpick each word for a specific purpose. All of them enhance the book, and none of them are superfluous. Just like beans on bean night.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers